Sunday, February 1, 2009

Wailing and Hailing




You'd think it'd be hard getting up every morning and going to school from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm, but when you are surrounded by the Judean Hills... things become easier. This past week was full with days that were better than the last. I've become closer with people to the point of real friendships, and have been immersed in a language I'm excited to study. We went to Jerusalem twice, once for the Western Wall, and once for Ben Yehuda street (the State Street or Loop of Jerusalem... touristy, but fun). We also began our classes, which are long but not too strenuous. The class that is most intimidating is Hebrew. I was placed in the highest class (I'm not bragging, trust me, I'm struggling quite a bit). I love my teacher, and the class is treated as an Olpan. An Olpan, for those who don't know, is where you speak only Hebrew. And I mean NO ENGLISH. It creates some confusion, but when I relax, I'm surprised to listen to our teacher and understand what she's saying. It is really incredible to listen to her speak, knowing its not English, but understanding her. Seeing as we don't have an Olpan class at home, it really is different.


My other classes are basically the same as home and I don't want to bore you with them. So for the fun stuff... how the students bide there time during the day. Other than school and homework, we make time for movie watching, dance parties, and late night gossiping about home. Saturday was by far the best, during the day me and a few friends went to this spot on the Kibbutz. It's back beyond the houses where there is a gorgeous view of the hills near a campfire, equipped with a large rock made for two or three to sit and do homework on. Then, I got a call from one of my friends to let me know that two of my camp counselors from two years ago were on the Kibbutz! They brought us food (which trust me, I dont need anymore...) and it was great to see them. When we were done stuffing ourselves I went over to one of my counselor's rooms to see someone very special from America, my Rabbi (who happens to be two of the staff members dads). I got to sit and talk with all of the Weinbergs (minus Daniel and his family) which was really, really nice. Rabbi then proceded to lead Havdalah, my first in Israel this semester. Later we boarded the buses to Ben Yehuda street. Now, I hope people know that Israel is majorly a desert, but in the North and central areas, in the wintertime there is some rain. But when we got to Ben Yehuda street, it didn't just rain, it didn't just pour... it hailed. In Jerusalem! It's funny how on our first real night out, we get hailed on. But it was fun, while it wasn't hailing, we were dancing in the streets and bargaining for lame Hebrew tshirts. All in all, this week has been pretty excellent. Until next time...


-Bari




For those of you who don't understand my genius: it's the Wailing Wall and when it was hailing... I'm pretty witty, I know.


The picture is of the Wall (I took it)

No comments: