Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sorry for the Delay...


I realized today that I had a neglected blog, and I am terribly sorry for that. Being in Israel can sometimes sweep you off your feet into a place where you forget what's happening anywhere else. This past month and a half since my last post has been completely packed. I will state in this blog what I did and then attempt to write a blog on those events.
- First of all... My parents came to visit!
-So on March 29th NFTY EIE left for one of the most difficult experiences of our lives. We went back in time to the days before The Holocaust in Eastern Europe and then walked through the eery boundries of death camps, mass graves and empty synogogues of what used to be the most Jewish thriving and most Jewishly populated country: Poland.
-From there we returned to the Holy Land for Pesach (Passover), which was very very different from my seder at home.
-After the seders I embarked on a beautiful, smelly journey with the other 118 students called "Yam L'Yam" or "Sea to Sea" where we hiked from the Kineret to the Mediterranean for five days without showers or toilets.
-Then I went to what I consider the most beautiful city in Israel, Haifa, I loved it! We were there for too short a time, and then went back home to Tzuba. It was amazing to be back. I got new roommates and have been hanging out here since.
-Being in Tzuba has been more real than before, it really feels like home. Since we've been here we have experienced three very special and unique days in Israel: Yom HaShoa (Holocaust Rememberence Day), Yom HaZikaron (Remembering fallen soldiers and those lost in terrorist groups) and the happiest day in Israel, Yom Hatzmaut (Independence Day).
Now, we have two full weeks of school, which is a first for us on EIE. We're beginning to feel the pressure of school work, APs, ACTs, SATs and finals. But we also know that we only have 26 days left in Israel and to spend with one another so school really is the least important thing on our mind. Basically we care most about living in the moment, living in Israel and living with each other without regrets of fights or attachment to America.
I call it America and not home because we all realized that this trip has redefined the word "home" for us. I will go into this in a later post. I have to go to math class now but expect more posts! I promise one for each bullet point!

I'll Write Soon,
Bari

No comments: