Sunday, December 14, 2008

Who Needs Nature?


In a recent essay for American Studies, I question whether cruise ships can be considered progress or not, but cruise ships are just one example of travel that has been seen as progress today. Before now, every summer my family would carpool across America to a National Park and camp in the wilderness. But things have changed in the Finkel household, last winter break, instead of going to a cottage, my family vacationed in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico... the North Shore hot spot. People may consider this to be an economically superior vacation, because not as many people can vacation in such a luxurious place. But I dont think it is.


Yes, Mexico was beautiful, but it was filled with noisy traffic, expensive restaurants, and typical tourist sites. If you don't make reservations months before you go, you can't go whale watching, zip lining, or get a hotel. So every day you have a set schedule with times you need to leave by. This can become stressful and brings me back to think of Thoreau's idea to "Simplify, simplify, simplify!"


Thoreau's idea of a good vacation would probably be what my family originally did. Everyday we would wake up and go hiking to new places and at night we would make campfires and smores. It was simple, and if you maybe didn't want to go hiking one day, you didn't have to... nothing was planned and you were surrounded by nature. Every Labor Day weekend my family continues a tradition of camping with some of my extended family. But now, my extended family has made progress in their camping experience by purchasing a "pop up tents"... my family comments on these as "woosy tents." While we make hot dogs over the camp fire, my aunts and uncles can use their microwave, or even take a quick shower in their tent. By isolating themselves in a pop-up tent they are actually using more energy and harming the environment than they are being surrounded by it!


So yes, resorts, cruises and campers/pop-up tents may be seen as higher class and progress in our traveling days, is it? Each of these travel aids or spots have actually isolated people from nature and the calm serenity of it that originally drew people away from the hustle and bustle of work to vacation. I dont think that it's progress, and a lot of the time, I think it's silly, expensive, and wasteful.

3 comments:

Cristina Meehan said...

Interesting blog! I find it annoying when technology and modern day "advancements" get in the way of enjoying nature. A good old fashioned camping trip should not be interrupted by cell phones, microwaves, showers, and pop up tentes, becuase they ruin the esscence of immersion in nature and the example it brings of surviving off the land. I know Thoreau and Emerson would be angered by modern technological advancements ruining the serenity of a nature.

Anonymous said...

The idea of a vacation is to be relaxed, and if you're privileged enough (like those of us on the north shore), you might get to see some place new. Both of your vacations accomplished that, but the one to mexico was complicated by the tight schedule. I would just combine the two vacations... Go to Mexico, but don't hassle yourself. Just lay on the beach and have a good time. That would be as about as simple as it comes.

Anonymous said...

Hey B,
Uncle Jim here. I understand your aversion to technology and schedules. You know me well enough to know I share those issues. As you are still in your youth, I make certain "considrations". I'm referring to your apparent disdain with the concept of "pop-up" campers. If you recall, I don't have a microwave, tv, radio, stove, sauna, toilet nor shower in mine. I can plug it in and get electrical power and I will admit not having to get dressed, go outside and make coffee in the morning is somewhat of a luxury. That said, give your aging relatives a break - it makes a big difference to get off the ground when sleeping and as I recall you spent plenty of time in that pop-up when we were at Lake Superior and it rained for 4 days!