Saturday, November 8, 2008

It's Always Sunny in 1776


One of my favorite TV shows currently on television is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It's crude humor, vulgar language, and often offensive material led me to believe that I would never relate it to school. However, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and American Studies have proved me wrong. In this past week's episode (spoiler alert), the characters went back in time to 1776 for a wild time during the American Revolution not seen by history books. Mostly, the lack of historical evidence of the events is because it was made up, but it still is relateable to our American Studies class. In the episode, two characters, Dennis and Mac, discuss how the meetings for the revolution are taking place in their bar, and they don't like it. The two are frustrated and confused because they claim that the alliance with Britain "rocks", and that it'd be ridiculous to separate from them. So, to retaliate the revolution, Mac and Dennis decide to write "The Declaration of Dependence." This humorous episode represented people during the American Revolution who did not want to split with Britain. However, because of how the characters are depicted in the show as complete idiots, it makes it seem that keeping an alliance would have been not well thought of. The episode did lead me to question how many people did not want to split with Britain? I think it has been, overall, a good idea to break away from them because that way, in 2008 we would be able to elect and have an African American president for the first time.

2 comments:

DannyE said...

That's really funny that an episode about this was made. I would be really interested to read the "declaration of dependence". I think if some kind of essay was written in 1776 favoring the unity between Britain and the colonies people would have been more divided. I think that exclusively the rich would be in favor of the alliance, and more people would be in favor of independence. I doubt we could, but this would be something interesting to watch in class. Good Find.

Bari-F said...

I think it'd be interesting to watch in class, except it's extremely inappropriate. Haha.