Friday, September 5, 2008

The Forgotten Voters


While discussing contemporary Native Americans in class, and the election just around the corner, I began to wonder: Who will the majority of Native Americans' vote for?


I had never heard politicians speak outright about any Indian issues, mostly because those views do not speak for the majority of the American population. While I was researching, I was surprised to find an abundance of information that swings both left and right. A You-tube video I found explained that the Indians of Fort Peck Reservation in Northeastern Montana were in great support of Obama, and even named him, "Black Eagle." Typically, Native Americans' vote democratic, and with Obama, many Indians feel closer to him since, as one man states that, "The Blacks have suffered like the Native Americans have." According to the video, Fort Peck Reservation will be voting for Obama.


McCain, however, seems to becoming more popular. McCain has made obvious effort to meet, greet, and understand Native Americans. Not only was he the only candidate at the NCAI's national convention, but he was also the chairman for the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs. His knowledge with how tribal governments work independently and with the US government is wide and respectable. The issue with McCain and the Native Americans, however, are his environmental views.


The Native American choice should not swing voters one way or the other, but their 1 percent of the population will have a significant role in the upcoming election.

5 comments:

Mr. Lawler said...

Great artifacts: the video and article. The comment, "I feel forgotten..." stuck with me. It makes me think of many characters in "Res. Blues" -- particularly Junior Polatkin. Nice job.

R. Flanagan said...

I found this topic really interesting. I had never heard too much about how contemporary Native American view the Presidential race before reading your post. Even though they make up a very small percent of the population, their "forgotten" voice really does count and will make a difference in the very close upcoming election.

Kolbes said...

This is a really good post! I completely agree with you and understand why the Indians would be inclined to vote for Obama because they feel like they have gone through similar suffering. I think it is really great that McCain is making an effort to meet the Native Americans and keep learning about their government. He is making a statement that they are not a forgotten group of people, and their voice does matter in the government.
I think the Native Americans will probably vote for both McCain and Obama, and their vote will depend on their personal or tribal beliefs.

Ian_F said...

I think this is a very good point, you dont usually hear people talking about the native americans and the election. They really could make a difference and one of the candidates could even make it a selling point if they are in the lead with native americans. I was recently on Obama's website and came across a section of the campaign directed at native americans. what I found interesting was that throughout the web page, they were referred to as 'first americans'. I thought it was a smart move to address them in that way. here is the link, http://tribes.barackobama.com/page/content/firstamshome

Matt M said...

Bari, I think this post is extremley interesting and I have never read anything on the Native Americans and thier impact on the election. My sister student taught in New Mexico and said many Native Americans live there. The question I want answered is:does the Native American vote play a vital role in who takes the state of New Mexico? Although they are the "forgotten voters", they still play a role in this years upcoming election. I wish I could have been able to talk to my grandmother who is a fourth Native American about her political views, and see if she viewed America like Alexie's characters.